Make a post (public, friendslocked, filtered...whatever you're comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fun ("I'd love a Snape/Hermione icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
If you wish for real possible things, make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you.
Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ, or link to this post so that the holiday joy will spread.
Surf around your friendslist (or friendsfriends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:
If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes someone's trash is another's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use--or even know where you could get someone's dream purebred Basset Hound for free--do it. Once a wish has been granted, it will be crossed off my list.
You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf--to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not--it's your call.
There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just...wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special.
1) For 2010 to be better for everyone.
2) For a good tutorial on how to use Facefail since nearly everyone seems to have one and I can't stand it or make the interface useful. It would be especially helpful if the stupid thing would stop emailing me invitations to games, apps, events that are 3000 miles away, etc and instead show me what/how my friends are actually doing irl when I login. Or better still, I'd love it if people would go back to writing - LiveJournal, Wordpress, their own website, wherever as long as it's got an RSS feed.
3) For words, music, images, etc created by or loved by all of you.
4) Anything on my Barnes & Noble wish list is always appreciated - New or Used: PDF or Hardcopy (except for Illustrated Books/Graphic Novels - those I do want to hold in my hand) http://my.barnesandnoble.com/kim-turners-WishList/cm/1647023/
5) For someone to buy my stuff (see posts here): http://alumiere.livejournal.com/tag/for+sale
6) For a good job. I'm most qualified as a Cisco NOC Manager - Wide Area Networking, Fiber Optic Hardware, Broadband Routing. But I'd like to do something a bit more creative - technical writing, journalism, copy-editing, fiction criticism and/or editing, custom clothing and costuming, etc.
7) For true health care reform; equal rights for everyone; for ableism, racism, sexism, and rape culture to go the way of the dodo; and for the religious nuts to stop killing, stop trying to make teacing evolution and science a crime, to no longer get federal funds to preach hate.
8) To have some of my East Coast friends and family make it to CA for a visit.
9) To continue to dance, to stop hurting quite so much, to be able to think clearly and be myself again (see http://alumiere.livejournal.com/tag/medical).
10) For someone to convince my ex to make a reasonable divorce settlement offer, as he's ignored my offers in favor of continuing to refuse to pay his bills. Today I'd settle for a lump sum of $7,500 cash plus half his 401K. Not his ludicrous offer of $2,500 over 25 months and oh, "I moved out before the date on those bills, so I'm not responsible". Yes, I know that's not a realistic wish since he's been refusing versions of that offer since July 2008 when it was first made. But a girl can dream, and still hope her ex will grow the the fuck up rather than making me travel to MD where the judge will rule in my favor anyway. Remember, I'm unemployed but continuing to look for work, only in CA we're at ~13% unemployed, the tech sector isn't hiring, I'm not truly qualified for much else, my medical bills are ludicrous, and I don't even own a car or a real bed; meanwhile he has been promoted twice? thrice?, gotten considerable raises, bought a nused truck and trailer in addition to the car and all the joint property he kept, had his girlfriend give him another motorcycle, etc. Equal division of property at the time of settlement is the standard in MD, and temporary or permanent support is something I qualify for as well - so I've repeatedly made offers to settle for less than I'm entitled to and he's repeatedly refused to pay his damn bills, let alone make a reasonable counter offer.